Beginner’s Guide: Migrating to SharePoint Online or Project Online
Posted On January 19, 2020
If you are just new to either SharePoint Online or Project Online, then it would be better that before we go into full discussion either how to migrate to SharePoint Online or how migrate to Project Online, the first tip that I could give is that you should familiarize yourself with the basic terms. This means that you need to have clear understanding of what they are.
What is SharePoint Online (SPO)? SharePoint Online is a collaboration tool that allows you and your organization store, organize, share data, and easily communicate with each other. SharePoint Online is also an inclusion of your Office 365 enterprise subscription.
With SPO, you can share common resources and applications on portals, search to discover information and expertise across your organization, and stay in the know with personalized news in SharePoint home and the SharePoint mobile apps. In the same manner, Project Online can be your versatile answer for project portfolio management (PPM) and everyday work because it is also delivered through Office 365. Your team can virtually work anywhere on nearly any device because of these features.
Your Project Online service requires the use of SharePoint Online, which will be provided for you as part of the Project Online service. We will discuss first how to migrate to SharePoint Online then how to migrate to Project Online.
WATCH: Strategies to Adopt for Flexible Time Movement
These are the methods or ways that you can do to move your data.
• The SharePoint Migration Tool (SPMT) can easily migrate your files from SharePoint on-premises document libraries, lists, or regular files shares using OneDrive sync client.
• After installing the OneDrive Sync client, drag and drop the files to a folder on your computer. The content will immediately sync with either SharePoint Online or OneDrive.
• You can also upload files one at a time from the SharePoint Online tenant. Please remember that rights to the SharePoint Online functionality provided with Project Online Professional or Premium are limited to storing and accessing data to support Project Online. If you need help, then Microsoft FastTrack services can get you started with your migration to the Microsoft cloud solutions.
Now, let’s talk about how to migrate to Project Online. If you already acquired another Microsoft service like Exchange Online or SharePoint Online, then you already have an Office 365 account. If you’re subscribed either with O365 Enterprise, Government, or Academic, you may be able to simply add Project Online to that account.
Maybe you are wondering how will you know if you have the right kind of Office 365 account right. Simply go to the Services page within the workplace 365 admin center. If you see Project Online listed, this means you can add it. If you do not see Project Online listed, this could be because your account is not Office 365 Enterprise, Government, or Academic.
To add Project Online to your existing Office 365 account, follow these simple steps:
• Log in to your Office 365 account.
• On the workplace 365 admin center, choose Purchase Services on the left menu.
• Choose Add next to the Project Online set up that you just like and follow the on-screen instructions.
You can also manually migrate to Project Online by doing the following:
• First, try to save your project plans from Project Server to .MPP format.
• Then, open each .MPP file using Project Professional 2013, Project Professional 2019 Preview, Project Online Desktop Client, or Project Professional 2016. Then, save and publish it to Project Online.
There are different options available for you to migrate to SharePoint Online or to migrate to Project Online. You just need to remember that the method you should select to move your data depends on factors, including the amount of data, size, and what data you want to be transferred.
Where are the files currently stored? Taking the time to plan, set up your migration, take a list and assessment of your skills, and understand the process will help you achieve a smooth migration.